Friday, September 21, 2012

Are You Adopted?

(I have been saving this for a few months, waiting for the right words to come.  I hope that it will be a blessing to you!)

I heard a missionary speak some time ago and it got me thinking. Wow, did it get me thinking!

Among all the chaos of life and the busy-ness of motherhood my brain has slipped away, a bit, from my love of language and linguistics. The missionary couple who spoke work in Africa, mostly in Bible translation.  One story they shared was of a student at the seminary who is studying the term that we translate to "adoption" in English Bibles.  (If I knew how to write it in Greek here, I would!)  So, in East Africa there is a tradition, or ceremony in which people are adopted into a family. But only adults are adopted in this particular culture. ???  Interesting!  This leads me down the path of adoption there being a fully cognizant decision, made both by the adoptee and the adopter(s).  Wow.  What an amazing biblical comparison!  God wants to adopt US and yet He allows us the right whether or not we want to BE adopted by Him.  Isn't that beautiful!

I love the topic of adoption since our two sons came to our family through adoption.  But while they didn't have a choice in their earthly adoptions, they DO have a choice about their HEAVENLY adoptions.

Have you chosen to be adopted?  I would love to hear about it!

No comments: