Friday, November 28, 2008

Friday Feast

I recently discovered that I have some food sensitivities. My younger son also has food sensitivities so I have been learning and cooking for an alternative diet for almost two years now. I suppose that his diet has forced me to learn some new basics, and my diet is now forcing me to learn more advanced principles in food preparation. As one dear friend said to me recently, "Isn't it amazing how God puts people into our lives that we don't even realize we need?"

The Lists

Son: Wheat, Rye, Barley, Oats, Bananas, Corn Syrup, Eggs
Me: Wheat, Soy, Eggs, Mold
Husband: Fish, Shellfish

This is just what we know about. And for some reason, I don't think these lists are going to get shorter any time soon. And my older son has NO ALLERGIES OR SENSITIVITIES WHATSOEVER. Do you think I should get him tested? ;)

So, here's my (after-Thanksgiving) lunch for today:

Shredded Turkey Rice Wrap

Ingredients:
Shredded Turkey from cooked carcass
Romaine lettuce, sliced thinly
Thai sweet chili sauce, to taste
16mm rice wrapper, dried

Instructions:
1. Be sure all fillings are ready and prepared to fit properly in your chosen-sized wrapper
2. Soak one wrapper in a bowl of hot water for about 30 seconds, until it is soft, then place on clean work surface
3. fill with a little bit of meat, topped with sauce, then lettuce
4. fold wrapper around filling like a burrito
5. repeat as necessary until you are full!

This is the basis for my new wheat-free, soy-free sandwich. Want one?

A great big "THANK YOU" goes to Karina and this website with the great photos.

No comments: